“Remedial Massage and Headaches”
What is “Remedial” about Remedial Massage ?
REMEDIAL MASSAGE & HEADACHES – Anne Rigby Hatton – Remedial Massage Therapist discusses some of the issues.
Remedial Massage uses a variety of massage modalities and techniques to relieve muscular tension, alleviate pain and prevent headaches.
Are you stressed or under constant pressure at work? Are you suffering from text neck? Is your pillow giving you the correct neck support when you sleep? Are you able to get a minimum of eight hours sleep each night? Are you able to get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise a day? Are you drinking two litres of water per day?
If you answered NO to any of the above questions, you may find these are possible causes of your headaches.
Remedial massage has been found to have benefits for minimizing headaches;
- Aid in stress relief by decrease anxiety and stress hormones
- Provide opportunity for relaxation
- Improve circulation and enhanced respiratory function
- Improve muscle tone, muscle relaxation and range of motion
- May increase endorphins (our body’s natural pain killers).
Did you know. . . .
A 2010 systematic review of manual therapies for migraine found that massage therapy, physiotherapy, relaxation and chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy might be as effective as propranolol and topiramate in the prophylactic management of migraine. A number of RCTs investigating headache and migraine also report positive results for massage.
A 60 minute remedial massage treatment for headaches includes:
- Postural Assessment especially of your cervical range of motion.
- Treatment tailored to your needs and requests using the best modality including; Myofascial release, Trigger point therapy, Deep tissue & or sports massage, together with deep breathing to oxygenate and relieve the affected tight muscles causing headaches. Together with a demonstration of a minimum of three stretches to enhance your range of motion post massage.
- Post massage follow up email to YOU the client after each and every treatment reminding you about the importance of daily stretches, exercises and the importance of drinking two litres of water per day.
I always recommend a follow-up appointment date in the future as a maintenance routine. Why you ask? Well, how long have you been suffering with headaches? What can we do together to change your daily work posture ? Can I motivate you to increase your daily exercise ?
One remedial massage treatment will go a long way towards relieving some of the pain and tension, but an ongoing treatment plan is paramount for your long term headache management and overall health and well-being.
I have had clients who have been happy enough with the one treatment, and others who have wanted to continue as a maintenance routine because they know they are unable to change their situation at the present time. You – the client are an individual, I as the remedial massage therapist respect everyone has different needs and wants in relation to their remedial massage to treat headaches.
My clients have also commented about the relief they have felt not only with headaches but also continuing down into their neck and shoulders. Relieving the headache is the priority and then continuing the treatment down into the neck and shoulders is part of the maintenance required. Anne believes muscle remedy for optimal health and well-being should be a part of everyone’s health regime.
Look after your body and mind at Centro Innovative Health. Naturopathy, Kinesiology, Massage, Reiki, Bowen, Beauty and Psychology – all tailored to enhance your life – naturally.